Using environmental process improvements, AFPA’s LEAP program will support your business with:
Is there value in environmental process improvements?
- Air compressor: fixed leaks saving 198,000 kWh/yr, ⇩ costs by $19,000/yr
- Water valves: broken valve results in tank overflow and cooling water for equipment not running = 980,000 m3/yr leak, costing $190,000/year
- Conveyors: misaligned conveyor resulted in 2.5g loss per product, at a total cost of $74,000/yr
- Reuse: end of run product diverted back into process, recovering 27,000kg/yr and generating $117,000/yr in revenue
- Lighting: LED retrofit ROI of 0.75 years (w/o rebates), ⇩ electricity costs and better lighting (pictured) resulted in greater productivity
Find revenue in your waste
Always keep in mind the full scale production costs associated with food waste – starting with the cost of the ingredients, transportation to get them to your facility, associated labour through production, energy and water use throughout, and finally waste disposal costs.
- Food waste ‘prevention’ is a revenue stream: $1,000/t, $2,000/t, $8,000/t
- Food waste ‘management/diversion’ is a bottom-line cost: $70/t, $80/t, $90/t
LEAP is here to help industry
The LEAP program is here to help your business. Let us know how we can best support you? We will connect you with the proper tools, training and support, including:
- Industry-leading expertise: one-on-one coaching, on-site assessments and workshops
- Access to grants: or further training, retrofits, assessment or pilot projects
- Partnerships: with industry, government and alike
- Resources: tools, articles, blogs, case studies and more
LEAP is made possible by the generous support of Growing Forward 2, a federal-provincial-territorial initiative.